St. William Catholic Church

St. William Catholic Church
St. William Catholic Church

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Seashore

My husband’s family takes a yearly vacation on the shores of Lake Erie.  The week is spent fishing, playing games, and playing on the seashore.  Family members come and go throughout the week, but there are normally a few days when most of the McCue clan gathers for what I fondly call wonderful, organized chaos.

I find great peace by the water.  The sound of the waves meeting the shore; the smell in the air; the way the sand feels under my feet; the incredible view of the sun rising over the water . . .these physical, tangible earthly experiences remind me of the awesome power of our God.  I love doing yoga on the beach as the sun rises and having my morning coffee with a good book in hand while the sound of the water and birds play a symphony to sooth my weary soul.  And then the house starts to awaken and the air is filled for the rest of the day with laughter and constant chatter until dusk when we tend to walk the beach again as the sun sets over the bay then play games or work on a puzzle as the house quiets back down and I am lulled to sleep by the sound of the water meeting the shore.

Last summer a dear friend of mine loaned me the book “Jesus” by Fr. James Martin, S.J., the same Fr. Martin who wrote “This Our Exile” which I spoke about in my blog last week.  Fr. Martin shares with the reader his spiritual journey as he embarked on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.  I have secretly (well, now it’s not a secret) always wanted to travel to the Holy Land, so the more I read “Jesus” that longing pierced my heart in such a way that I actually could not finish reading the book!  No surprise, but it was the moment he started to talk about walking along the Sea of Galilee that got me.  I remember closing the book and crying . . . the longing to walk that same shore was too intense for me.  I took out a notebook and jotted down the people with whom I would want to share this pilgrimage.  One of those people was my mom!

We have been hearing quite a bit these past few weeks of Jesus getting into the boat to seek rest from the crowd.  Hearing these stories has been making me think that perhaps it is time for me to pick up where I left off and continue my pilgrimage to the Holy Land through the eyes of Fr. Martin.  I have been thinking quite a bit lately of salvation and what it means to have eternal life.  My mother’s journey to heaven has shed new light for me on St. Paul’s call to the Ephesians to “put away the old self of your former way of lifeand be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new self, created in God’s way in righteousness and holiness of truth.”  She has made the journey to the Holy Land, the new and eternal Jerusalem without me.  The peace on my mother’s face as she left this earth to join God will be forever engrained in my mind, for she literally put away her old self and put on the new self as she left this world.

So, as I pack for the lake, I am going to bring “Jesus” with me so that I can be reminded as I walk the shores of Lake Erie that Jesus can just as easily be found in the footprints left in the sands of Northeast Ohio.  I don’t need to travel to the Holy Land, I just need to remember his promise and believe!

“I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.”


Shalom,
Tina


No comments:

Post a Comment