St. William Catholic Church

St. William Catholic Church
St. William Catholic Church

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Book Club Update

Jambo!  (a common Swahili greeting)

I love to read.  It is a hobby that brings me true relaxation.  I can escape from the world around me and be transported into another world, sometimes one filled with danger and suspense as I love to read suspense novels.


Since I have returned to the workforce, I found that I was doing less and less leisurely reading.  This prompted me to start the Summer Book Club, now in its third year.  In searching for books for summer reading, I rely upon advice from our Diocesan librarian, Carla Hlavac.  She is a wealth of knowledge and seriously brought me probably 15 books to consider!  She is amazing.  One of the books pulled at my heart strings because it documents a priest’s time (while studying to become a Jesuit priest) serving God’s people in East Africa.  Having sent a daughter half way across the world to help build a school and run water lines in the Maasai Mara, I had to read this book!

Recently a few St. William mamas (Swahili for mature woman) and I shared our thoughts on the book, “This Our Exile” by James Martin, S.J.  He tells many of his adventures while serving refugees in East Africa.  One thing that really hit home to each of us is what a privileged life we lead here in the United States of America.  It is true that we have our share of poverty, civil unrest, unemployment, homelessness; however, we also have access to shelters and soup kitchens and government assistance.  It is eye-opening, at least to me, that most people in the world do not have access to even the basic human need of clean drinking water.  
 
Another aspect of the book that we all enjoyed was being able to witness the transformation that happened to Fr. Martin.  He went into Nairobi, Kenya because he was ordered to do so as a two year learning experience.  Like many men and women who embark on mission work, he was filled with exuberance at the thought of how he would be able to make positive change in the world.  And, like many men and women, he came back a changed man.  In the words of Fr. Martin, “The refugees, as I said before, changed me.  They changed the way I look at poverty.  The refugees changed the way I look at humanity.  The refugees changed the way I looked at God, too.  The refugees broke my heart, too.  But they broke my heart in another way: they broke it open, helping me to receive God’s love in a new way from people I would have never expected to know so well.”

When I reflect upon these words of Fr. Martin, I think of how we are each given the opportunity every day to be changed by the ways God is revealing himself to us.  We also have the opportunity to be the catalyst of change for others.  My Anna traveled to Nairobi, Kenya with John F. Kennedy Catholic School and their relationship with the Me to We Foundation/Free the Children.  Their motto is “Be the Change.”  I pray that someone breaks your heart open to receive God’s love and that you in turn can be that change for others.

Our next book club session will be held Tuesday, August 11 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.  We will be discussing the book, Our Lady of the Lost and Found.  A Novel of Mary, Faith, and Friendship by Diane Schoemperlen.  I encourage you to consider reading this novel and “meet me on the lawn”  so that together we can see how our Mother Mary may be waiting to break our hearts open for God just in time to celebrate the Assumption!

Kwaheri kwa sassa, (goodbye for now)
Tina


This our Exile. A Spiritual Journey with the Refugees of East Africa.  James Martin, S.J. ©1999, 2011 by The Society of Jesus of New England.  Published by Orbis Books, Maryknoll, NY 10545-0302.

No comments:

Post a Comment