St. William Catholic Church

St. William Catholic Church
St. William Catholic Church

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Catholic Family

Hello again!  I am glad to be back after a very busy week of activities at both the Parish and Kennedy.

I was so proud to see so many parishioners and friends from the Warren area parishes attend the Michael James Mette Concert on August 30.  I was blessed to spend much of the day with this beautiful Catholic family.  I am a person who notices details and I want to share with you some of the things that I noticed about this family that to me exemplifies what it means to be a Catholic family.

Celebrating the Holy Mass:  Flanked by their parents, the six Mette children honored the Sabbath by being full, active participants of the liturgy.  Along with their parents, they prayed, sang, listened, responded and honored God with their reverent posture.  It was beautiful to see every single one of them (well, with the exception of the baby) fully participate in liturgy.  It made me hunger to see this in every Catholic family.  Imagine how much more joyful our worship time together would be if EVERY person had the courage to be active, full participants in the liturgy!

Christian Parenting:  Michael and Michelle have a very patient and loving parenting manner.  I wish I possessed those skills when my Josh and Katie were little.  I feel like I became a better parent as more children came along and looking back I realize that the difference was not that I somehow got smarter . . .no . . . the difference was that I started going back to religious education!  I can say without a doubt that attending adult faith formation sessions brought me to a closer relationship with Christ which made me a happier person which in turn made me a better parent!  I can see this in Michael and Michelle!  They have such love and respect for each child and in turn their children have great respect for them.  They work as a family unit.  Over the years, this is something for which I long.  Brian and I have lived a life of divide and conquer; each of us doing our own thing and splitting up to make sure the children all got to where they needed to be.  Even in celebrating Liturgy . . . we very rarely have the joy of sitting together.  Parents with children still at home . . .the best piece of advice that I can offer you is to work as a family.  A family that plays together and prays together, stays together!  Please pray for my family!

Celebrating Meals:  The Mette children were so joyous no matter what the meal.  I was so worried that I did not prepare a hot meal for lunch (planned picnic food but alas, it rained) but when the children saw the lunch buffet, they were so appreciative.  No one was permitted to eat until all were in their seat so they could pray as a family.  They each ate everything on their plate and they cleaned up after themselves.  They asked permission before taking sweets!  THEY HAD CONVERSATION during meal!  It was so beautiful to witness.  My friends, no matter how difficult, reclaim your family meal time around your dining room table.  Put electronics aside, shut off the tv and talk with each other.  Help each other do the dishes afterward, pray together!

The Concert:  I have not been to a rock concert in years and I have never had the privilege of attending a Christian concert.  I forgot how loud it would be.  The lights and video to me was amazing and as a guitarist, I was all about watching Michael play his different guitars!  The music and video was so inspirational.  I loved the video about creation . . . it was very thought provoking for me.  Oh, and when the children came to join Michael “on stage” . . . they are each so talented and joyous.  Then Michael and Michelle stood next to each other as Michelle gave a moving witness of their struggles to hold on to each other in difficult times.  For those struggling with marriage, may God be with you.  May you feel the strength of the spirit through your difficult times.

Be a strong Catholic family and produce strong Catholic youth so that they may grow to become a strong Catholic family and the circle of life honoring God and neighbor may continue to thrive.

Shalom,

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment