St. William Catholic Church

St. William Catholic Church
St. William Catholic Church

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Feast of Pentecost

I love the color red!  It is so vibrant and strong.  It is no wonder that red is the color chosen to represent the Spirit.  Last week I shared with you my prayer for the mystery of the Rosary, the Ascension.  Here is my prayer from Kennedy Prays for the third Glorious Mystery of the Rosary:

The Descent of the Spirit
I have learned that You keep the promises You make. Our covenant is sealed by the grace
and strength of the Holy Spirit. It is a strength that I cannot explain but I know that I am
ready to go forth and spread the good news of Your life and work! I have the strength to
proclaim that You, my Jesus, are the Son of God – the chosen one – My Savior! Hallelujah!

Have you ever felt strength beyond what you can explain as your own?  Have you ever had the power to do something that you did not think you could possibly do?  That strength comes from the Spirit of God.  Jesus did not leave us alone, he sent an advocate, the Holy Spirit. 

Being able to put to words the experience of the illness and death of my mother has helped me along in the grieving process.  I hope that my experience helps you somehow grow in faith or heal any sorrow that you may be carrying inside of you.  When Mom lost the use of her legs, I knew that I had to sing Psalm 116:  The Presence of God by Tom Kendzia, for her Mass of Christian Burial.  I also knew that the choir would be in the loft and would have my back should I fail to have the strength to give my Mom this last gift.  I had sung this to her a few times during her last months to remind her that she would indeed “walk in the presence of the Lord” for she always sang of the good things that God had done for her.

Now, I often pray for strength to proclaim the psalm before I leave my seat, but on the morning of December 31, 2014, I prayed with a vengeance for the strength needed to accomplish these corporal works of mercy of the funeral liturgy and burying my Mom.  Before I stood to pray the psalm, I sent one last request for strength and I want to bear witness to you of the Descent of the Spirit, for as I rose from my seat, I felt a power come over me that cannot be explained.  It was unworldly – the best way that I can describe the feeling is to say that I was given my own personal Pentecost at that moment.  The feeling was so intense and I was given the strength needed to stand and face my Mom’s earthly remains and proclaim with certainty that she would “walk in the presence of the Lord.” 

When we listen to the experience of Pentecost for the first followers of Christ we hear how there was a strong wind and tongues of fire came and rested over their heads.  Oh I have felt the heat of this fire!  One of my cousins recently shared with me that her mother saw rays of light coming from my fingertips when I raised my hands to invite those assembled to pray the psalm together.  This vision further affirms for me that the strength I needed truly was the Holy Spirit.  It wasn’t me – it was God working through me. 

Our God is so amazing and his Spirit is right there for the asking.  Call upon it when you need help to get through life’s daily struggles and life’s hardest battles – for I assure you that when you ask God will indeed provide.

Shalom,

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment