St. William Catholic Church

St. William Catholic Church
St. William Catholic Church

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Seventh Sunday of Easter ~ The Ascension of Jesus

Have you ever experienced the joy in being reunited with a dear friend or family member whom you have not seen in some time?  Just to hear their voice, their laughter, to see the light in their eyes brings comfort and somehow makes you feel whole again.  Then reluctantly, you must return to your corner of the world and feel a little melancholy for a few days because you miss being in their presence.
This is something that I think about quite often when I reflect upon the resurrection and ascension of our Lord.  I often wonder what it was like for the apostles, friends and family of Jesus when he told them that he would be leaving them once again after rising from the dead.  I mean, really, that had to feel like their heart tearing in two all over again.  As I was thinking about this, I remembered a prayer that I submitted to be published in a book of prayers which I was lucky enough to help create with students and administration of John F. Kennedy Catholic School, Kennedy Prays.  I would like to share the prayer which I wrote for the second Glorious Mystery, The Ascension.

I feel such peace in Your presence but now You say You must go. Your father awaits You. I am afraid to be without You again. Yet – as You rise to the Heavens – to Your father – the Peace remains with me. You have left part of Yourself here. You reside within me! Thank you! Hallelujah!

 
When Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate, suffered death and was buried, his mother, family members and friends were left with a terrible sense of loss.  Their world was ripped in two just as surely as was the temple.  Three days of darkness and their world opened back up again just like the gates of heaven when Jesus stood in their midst in the upper room.  They came to realize that indeed he was the Son of God.  After spending 40 glorious days once again in his presence, he tells them he must go.  Did they beg him to stay?  I wonder. 

 
I tend to think that this separation did not bear the same agony as his death; for they could now be certain that he was going to prepare a place for them in heaven.  This separation brought them hope that they would be reunited with Jesus in the kingdom of God.

 
This is a hope to which I cling, especially since my mother went home to heaven.  I long for the day to be reunited with her in the presence of the Holy One.  Until then, I will do my best to  . . .

 
“live in a manner worthy of the calling you have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love, striving to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”                                       Ephesians 4:2-3

 
Shalom,
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment