St. William Catholic Church

St. William Catholic Church
St. William Catholic Church

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Baptism

On this feast of the Baptism of our Lord, I can’t help but think of the baptism of my own children.  Yesterday, January 8, is the Baptism Day of our first born, Joshua.  It also happens to be our daughter-in-law’s birthday!  I wish I could have transported myself to North Carolina to celebrate Ashley’s 30th birthday and Joshua’s 27th Baptism day.

When our children were little, I tried to remember to do a little something extra on their Baptism day and I am sad to report that I have not held on to that tradition.  I am going to try harder this year to be sure to celebrate this important day in the life of my children.  I make it a point to transfer those dates year after year on the new calendar, but I have failed to properly celebrate the day that they became a member of God’s church. 

I could not wait to bring my children to the waters of baptism.  At the time when Joshua and Katherine were baptized, St. William only offered baptism after Mass, one Sunday a month.  When Deacon Harvey and Fr. Mike began to offer for children to be baptized during Mass we jumped at the opportunity because for us, this was a communal celebration.  I still get goose bumps when I close my eyes and remember my Anna, Elizabeth and Nathan being blessed by parishioners.  Anna was blessed by Joe Owens who was near to 100 years old at the time of her baptism!  Oh my goodness, I got so choked up!  I love to watch the faces of parents as they stand at the altar watching Father carry their child around the church for our blessings because I remember that incredibly powerful moment.  I will forever cherish gazing upon the faces of Josh and Ashley as they watched their first born, Addison, being blessed by our parish family!

Think about the awesome gift of Baptism – the opportunity to be wiped clean – to be claimed, by the sign of the cross, as a child for Christ, regardless of the age of a person when they are baptized.  As baptized Christians, we are each claimed for Christ “not because of any righteous deeds we had done
but because of his mercy, He saved us through the bath of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit”
Titus 3:5.

Scripture assures us that we are not only washed clean by the waters of baptism, but sealed by the fire of Holy Spirit, He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” Luke 3:16b As Catholics we celebrate this gift through the Sacrament of Confirmation.  Let us keep in our prayers the eleven young people of our parish who will be sealed the Spirit in February.  One of these young people is our youngest son, Nathan!  Being the youngest of five children, witnessing Nathan receive each of the sacraments has been especially meaningful to me, but that story is for another day . . .

For now, let us imagine that the words our Father spoke as His Son was baptized were also spoken on the day of our baptism . . .

“You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”
                                                                                                            Luke 3:22b
Shalom,
Tina


No comments:

Post a Comment